Re: browse dialogs

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 04:49:11PM -0500, Perkins, Casey S. (US - Hermitage) wrote:
> So here are the suggestions that I had in mind:
> - Back/forward buttons for dialog boxes - Having these buttons in a window
> manager is a good idea, but I need them more often in a browse dialog.
> - Bookmarks for dialog boxes - once again, helpful in a file manager,
> super-helpful for browser dialogs. Especially since I have to return to the
> same 8-10 directories again and again.
> - A desktop button. This is what truly makes the desktop a worthwhile and
> convenient directory to download and save files to. The Mac has had this for
> as long as I remember. And when I have to use MS Office at work, it's nice
> to have too.
> - more room to view files and directories. It's very limited on macs and on
> gnome.

Wishlist item for GNOME:
 * file-selector dialog should be (or at least have the option to be) a
   Miller Column Browser, like NeXTStep and OS X.

Wishlist item for GTK:
 * When the keyboard focus is on a list control, typing alphabetic
   characters should move the selection to the first item beginning
   with that sequence of characters. At work, on Win2K I have
   shortcuts on the desktop labelled "home" and "gvim" and "PuTTY" and
   so forth, and I can start browsing my home directory by clicking on
   any visible part of the desktop and typing "home" <enter>.

   In some ways Linux isn't very keyboard friendly.. :(

Are these already discussed somewhere, or could I file an RFE in
bugzilla.gnome.org for them?

--