From: Perkins, Casey S. (US - Hermitage) [mailto:caperkins deloitte com]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 4:49 PM
To: 'gnome-gui-list gnome org'
Subject: browse dialogs

Hi, My name is Casey Perkins. This is my first post to the list, after
listening for a week or so.
I've been thinking for a while how all browse dialog boxes are unwieldy.
Whether I happen to be using linux, mac or windows, gnome, kde or
what-have-you, I find myself having to return to certain directories again
and again, and the only way to do that is click, double-click an seemingly
endless number of times. A lot of time is wasted every day just browsing for
files.
So here are the suggestions that I had in mind:
- Back/forward buttons for dialog boxes - Having these buttons in a window
manager is a good idea, but I need them more often in a browse dialog.
- Bookmarks for dialog boxes - once again, helpful in a file manager,
super-helpful for browser dialogs. Especially since I have to return to the
same 8-10 directories again and again.
- A desktop button. This is what truly makes the desktop a worthwhile and
convenient directory to download and save files to. The Mac has had this for
as long as I remember. And when I have to use MS Office at work, it's nice
to have too.
- more room to view files and directories. It's very limited on macs and on
gnome.

Whether any of these things have been implemented in GNOME 1.4 or not, I
don't know (if so, sorry for wasting your time!); I haven't been able to
download it yet.
What about it? Does anyone have any idea whether any of this is being
implemented, or an opinion on the merits of these ideas?

Casey Perkins
- This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information