Re: Virtual Directory Structure

From: Jörg Rathlev <joerg jrsoftware de>

This makes sure that nothing is hidden, plus it makes it easier for experienced users to help a newbie. Filename text boxes etc. could continue to show the normal folder names. And I don't think it gets much more difficult for newbies. Actually, it's quite similar to web browsing, where the text of a hyperlink is not equal to the name of the referenced file.

The web browsing analogy reminds me of virtual web hosting - such as when www.myhost.com is hosted under a directory like /home/users/~user/dir1/dir2/. The directory structure under www.myhost.com is abstracted from the actual directory structure.

Similarly, i suppose my original post was about just the file manager presenting (serving?) to a user an abstracted structure. Perhaps each user would see their own virtual *host* like:

[-] joeblow.localhost.localdomain  =  /home/joeblow
     [+] Desktop = /home/joeblow/Desktop
     [+] Documents = /home/joeblow/Documents
     [-] System  =  /
          [-] home/
               [-] joeblow/
                    [+] Desktop
                    [+] Documents
     [+] Removable media   /mnt/
     [+] Hardware Devices   /dev/
     file1.txt

It's logical, when looking for what you want, to start at the top. The sort of users who don't administer the system would prefer the system stuff to be nested rather than the files they typically use. Clearly, these are the sort of user that this sort of thing would be aimed at.

On the other hand, i guess it doesn't amount to much more than what the MS file manager does. In tree view, it makes "My Computer" look like a *real* directory hanging beneath the user's "Desktop" which is at the top - it just *displays* a couple of things above c:\ for ease of user access. In it's simplest form the file manager need only *display* /home/joeblow at the top and stick "/" under a bogus "System" folder.

Trivial deception?

Chris