Re: Virtual Directory Structure

liam holoweb net (2001-05-12 at 2144.47 -0400):
> I should point out that not all Unix or Unix-like systems put user
> directories in /home, (e.g. it's more likely to be /usr/home on a

Yep, I have seen IRIX, BSD... and even Linux (we used NFS at Univ
club, so had to move things around).

> > The shell uses ~/ as a similar shortcut.
> Sun's desktop library (I forget what it was called, -lextra maybe) included
> ruotines to expand filenames that handled ~, so in any of their openwindows
> programs you could use ~ (and I think *).

GTK+ does, at least when completing, try /TAB~TAB/TAB in a open
dialog.

> a networked multiuser multiplatform Unix system -- that is our strength,

Unix old. Unix sucky. Unix bad. /me runs ;]

> /bin
>     This is where essential system programs are located.
>     The programs here are part of the operating system; they
>     are documented in the "geek help" section of the Info Browser.

That is too much, IMHO. A quick description (plus a larger one
accessible quickly) would help. Mainly cos people think too much text
is boring. The suposedly tips of the day got nuked ASAP, and they are
useful. UUm, I guess this is a point that needs user testing.

> The supplemental documentation should indicate the consequences of
> removing the given directory, and help the user to learn more,
> rather than saying, "you don't need to worry about this, it's too
> complex for you"...

Of course.

GSR