Re: Virtual Directory Structure

Jörg Rathlev wrote:

Then provide four modes: use new only, use old only, use new but
tooltip shows old, use old but tooltip shows new (or instead of
tooltip some other kind of easy clue). Of course, the config tool
would use different phrasing, not "old" and "new".

Is there anything that prevents showing *both* names? The friendly name could be used as the "title", the real name could be used as the "actual URL". For example:

[+] My Home   /home/foo
[-] User Directories   /home/
   [+] J. Random Hacker   jrh/
   [+] Joe Avarage User   joeuser/
[+] Removable media   /mnt/
[+] Hardware Devices   /dev/

etc.

I actually like this idea ;)  (as long as you could switch it off, that is)

<snip>

This is a problem that can be solved quite easily: Just have a hidden file in each folder (.foldersettings or something) that keeps its name and its tooltip explanation. If there's no file, show just the normal name.

But not this. I hate cluttering up "clean" directories. If we do this, I recommend a single configuration file or directory.

-b