Re: adding a icon in GNOME panel as default?

kevincu orci com (2001-03-26 at 0813.19 -0700):
> like to point out that every user like this who complains is an
> opportunity to find out what THEY think of our GUI system.  While I
[...]

I guess the reply is quite simple: GNOME must clone everything of the
target system so users do not see any difference. Of course, some
people will say why then repeat the work if target system already
exists? Only cos GNOME is Free Software? I hope not, I have seen
people giving up in the desktop field cos "I want a desktop for Unix,
not Windows with Unix as guts".

> > > I want to add some icons in GNOME panel as default. I mean that
> > > there are Netscape, gnome-terminal icons in GNOME panel and
> > > I want to add Mozilla icons in panel.
> > > What file should I edit for global setting of it?

Does that mean for all users of for one user? The first reply is for
one user:

> >   1. Right-click panel

Lot of people I know never try anything but left click". And I do not
think due the complexity of having multiple buttons in the mouse, but
cos they fear that something will break or cos it will make nothing.

> >   2. Select "Panel" submenu
> >   3. Select "Add-to-Panel" submenu from there
> >   4. Choose "Launcher..."

For multiple users, the reply is long and will change (soon I hope)
cos admin procedures are changing. In the past it was creating one
dummy user, configure it and copy it with scripts (cos developers
forgot what $HOME, $USER and other vars were invented for, so not only
GUI problems, but admin / low level too).

Back to global idea. Users, IMHO, should read a bit, or be provided
with info in some way (but not in way that says "you are stupid" but
"you do not know this"). What was the last time you find an intuitive
machine? Even kids have to discover and test their own bodies ("oooh,
when I think this that two groups of five things below me move" <- toe
discovery).

On the other hand, learning from what users find in normal life is a
great idea. It is like UI testing, but without the lab. Just pay
attention to all the details, like "Windows users think Unix dir tree
is wrong" which directly means Windows dir tree is not the same than
Unix one, the quality of them is harder to determine.

My idea derived from this guy problem is that adding Launcher to
become default is hard, due the process or due the lack of
documentation. Brain, what do you think that was wrong? Process? Docs?
Other?

GSR