Re: ui design guidelines

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 05:23:14PM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> > Lots of people have said Arlo's working on documentation.
> > What does Arlo say?
> Arlo generally says very little, at least around here :)  But my
> colleagues in Sun's usability labs in the States have seen him around a
> few times recently, and they're still under the impression that he's
> working on a draft version of the guidelines...
Does he even exist :-)

People have been saying, Arlo is working on this, for what seems to me
to be a very long time.

Which leads me to wonder if either (1) he isn't, or (2) that he's
going to produce a large and complex document that the community has not
been involved with at all, and that therefore will cause resentment
and alienation.

I suppose possibility (3) is that either he doesn't have time to do it
(a variation of (1)) or that in fact he's going to a lot of trouble
to measure people's responses, and doing a very careful and professional
job, in which case I genuinely hope that people value the result.

One of the reasons gnome exists is because trolltec underestimated the
importance of community involvement.  I know nothing about Arlo at all,
so I'm not so much griping about the absence of a document (others are
working on one in the meantime anyway) as being concerned his project
doesn't get hurt.

Lee (Ankh)

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/