RE: OS X Interface Guidelines

Jorg Rathlev wrote:

> In case you didn't know already, Apple has published an almost
> complete version (date 01/10/01) of the Aqua Human Interface Guidelines:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/SystemOverview/AquaGuid
> elines.pdf
>
> I've just downloaded the document, and it seems very
> recommendable, not only for Mac developers.

I say Linux developers really need to look at the interface design of MacOS
X. Beyond the supposed "eye candy" of translucent menus, drop shadows, and
water drop buttons, there's a very definite aspect to the interface which
makes it much easier to get a grip on, and that is...element
differentiation. By that I mean windows, menus, buttons, lists, tabs,
toolboxes, drawers, etc. are EXTREMELY easy to pick out of the screen at a
quick glance. Because the color of widgets and the underlying windows are
vastly different, widgets seem to leap off the screen. Intelligent use of
drop shadows helps considerably in this regard. And it's easy to tell which
windows are on top and which are in the background because the background
windows are dim and the windows on top of them shadow them in a meaningful
way. Small alerts and prompts are tied to their respective windows (they're
called sheets) so you know what the heck goes with what. Application and
system feedback is readily apparent, so you know what the computer is doing
while you're just sitting there. All this subtly reinforces the brain's
concept of the computer's interface structure at any given point in time.
You know how you can go into a room, and in the span of a second your brain
has already created a complete 3D structure of the room in your memory which
you can refer to later when you're somewhere else and thinking about that
room? MacOS X's interface design tries to use a little bit of that brain's
power to help the brain create a more vivid, detailed structure of the GUI
at any given point in time -- which makes it MUCH easier for people to know
what's going on, what to do next, and how to do it. It's almost like after
having gone through life with one eye closed, you suddenly open it. The
depth blows you away!

I'd like to see Linux's GUIs pick up some of those important design
concepts. Just creating a box with some text and an icon inside doesn't mean
people will know what that button does or even that it's there.

Regards,

Jared