Re: Reprise of the panel layout proposal

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 01:44:05PM -0700, Jared White wrote:
> Now here's a question for you all: why are we even using menus for all these
> functions? Is there really no alternative -- is there really no better way
> of accessing lists of programs organized by category at the touch of a
> button?

Yes, there is - the Programs (or whatever) button should bring up a
treelist of programs in a simple palette - if you're in a situation
where you have context menus on your menus, you shouldn't be using
menus.

Why does GNOME not do this? It's not been written. Would I write it,
given unlimited time and resources? Sure I would. Have I unlimited
time and resources? No.

> And is there really no better way of shutting down a computer or
> bringing up a control panel than using some kind of "Main Menu" or "System"
> menu?

Well, we could have a launcher on the desktop for every concievable
application and utility, but that might make navigation a little hard.

> I don't know if the goals of the Gnome project mention anything like
> innovation, but I sure wish people would start thinking outside of the box
> and try to come up with some new ideas that would truly make it easier to
> use a computer.

I've come up with some pretty freaky ideas in my time, but I was told
(quite sternly) that GNOME was not for experimental user interfaces,
it shouldn't deviate too far from established norms. I'm disappointed
this includes copying the Start menu, but there you have it.

> One main menu, two smaller menus, a panel here, or a panel
> there -- this is really just silly nit-picking when it comes right down to
> it. Will moving a panel from one part of the screen to the other really make
> the computer easier to use? Will calling a menu "Main Menu" or "System" or
> "New Tasks" or whatever all of a sudden make working on a computer twice as
> fast?

Perhaps we won't get a 2x improvement, but we might prevent a 2x
regression. Unfortunately few to no people here are strong GNOME
coders, and I don't think anyone much listens our Grand Ideas Of
Desktop Reform.

This is a pity - I think the Panel is one of the coolest UIs ever
written. I read the other day that a potential feature for the next
version of the Mac OS X Dock is "clickable folders" that appear and
can contain other app icons and the like - more or less exactly like
the drawers the Panel has had for how many years now?

With just a few extra NeXT-ish features, I think the Panel would be
perfect. But I don't know how or where I'd communicate those ideas, or
convince anyone with commit-rights to code them for me.

<snip>

> Sorry I got a bit off track from your message, James, but I just couldn't
> help myself. UI design is a field I get very excited about, which is why I'm
> here on this list after all!

If you like UI design, you might want to lurk in
news:netscape.public.mozilla.ui - Matthew "mpt" Thomas is a UI design
legend and posts there regularly.

--