RE: Reprise of the panel layout proposal

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that -- I'm not too familiar with Mac OS prior to
OS X. However, what you discribed was how you can make a normal Finder
window into a window that will slide out from the screen edge when you click
on its tab. This is somewhat similar, except that this is more of a
menu-type widget that slides out. It's basically a way to be able to have
two or three menus be always accessible without having a large bar getting
in the way.

> What I would like to see is an easier way to add stuff to the menus like
> Apple has done.

Like Apple has done with what....the classic Apple menu?

You know, maybe something like this exists already, but what *I'd* like to
see is a way to create a launcher button for a running program
automatically. In other words, if I'm running "MySwellApp", and I want to
create a button that will launch it upon being clicked, I could just drag
"MySwellApp" from some kind of running tasks menu onto the launch bar -- or
maybe click on a button somewhere that would create a launcher button for
the foreground app. This would make it really easy to create launcher
buttons for all your favorite programs. The Dock in Mac OS X has a similar
feature -- you can either drag a running program icon to somewhere else in
the Dock to make it "stick", or you can bring up the little pop-up menu for
that icon and select "Keep in Dock". This makes for very handy customization
capabilities.

Anyway, it's getting late, so I think I'll sign off for now. There's been
some really good discussion here lately, IMO, so I hope the GNOME head
honchos are listening! ;)

Take care,

Jared