Re: Proposal for default panel layout w/ some modifications to thepanel

James Ramsey wrote:

--- Ben Ford <ben kalifornia com> wrote:

Lets say, I set my MOM up with a gnome desktop
running Nautilus. She complains that Nautilus makes it too slow and can we go back to that thingie we had before (gmc).

I explain, sure, but then you won't be able to see
image previews and play music with it. So now she wants both, gmc for day to day, and Nautilus when she wants to use those features.

Now what you are saying is that she has to be an
ADVANCED user for Nautilus to not draw the desktop??? A little hint for you, she's barely a beginner! User levels, at least as proposed by
everybody here DON'T WORK!

There is a big problem with your example. You
*instructed* and probably *showed* your mother how to
switch between Nautilus and gmc. The goal of making

No switching involved. She uses GMC for the desktop and Nautilus for a file manager. But in order for that to happen, her system has to be set to "advanced" user level. If she someday notices that she's marked 'advanced' and decides to switch it to 'beginner' she'll be unhappy because her desktop changed and I can guarantee that she won't make the correlation.

the GNOME GUI usable even if no one is around to
instruct the user right at that minute. Sysadmins may
be busy or at meetings, or handling somebody else's
problem, and the friendly neighborhood computer
tinker|nerd|guru may not be available for advice at
the moment, so in that meantime the user should be
able to do useful work with the GUI. In the example,
you were available to instruct your mother. You were,
in effect, the sysadmin.

No, as I replied privately, we live 1200 miles away from each other.

User levels are designed to reflect the knowledge and
experience of the user on his or her own, not the user
and sysadmin together.

Exactly. My mother is a beginner. But if her system is set to beginner, then it doesn't work the way she wants it to and is then very unhappy. Enough unhappiness and somebody there will install windows on it.

--
:    __o
:   -\<,