Re: Proposal for default panel layout w/ some modifications to thepanel

--- Ben Ford <ben kalifornia com> wrote:
> James Ramsey wrote:
>
> >--- Ben Ford <ben kalifornia com> wrote:
> >
> >>Lets say, I set my MOM up with a gnome desktop
> >>running Nautilus.  She
> >>complains that Nautilus makes it too slow and can
> we
> >>thingie we had before (gmc).
[snip]
>.  She uses GMC for the desktop
> and Nautilus for a
> file manager.  But in order for that to happen, her
> system has to be set
> to "advanced" user level.  If she someday notices
> that she's marked
> 'advanced' and decides to switch it to 'beginner'
> she'll be unhappy
> because her desktop changed and I can guarantee that
> she won't make the
> correlation.

[snip]
> My mother is a beginner.  But if her
> system is set to
> beginner, then it doesn't work the way she wants it
> to and is then very
> unhappy.  Enough unhappiness and somebody there will
> install windows on it.

It seems to be that the real problem isn't user
levels, but the fact that Nautilus is slow. To get
around the problem, you kludged a solution where gmc
is used for the desktop and Nautilus for the fancy
file manager, and for that kludge to work, the user
level was set to "Advanced". About the only way user
levels are at fault here is that they make the kludge
more fragile.

=====

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----