RE: Proposal for default panel layout w/ some modifications to the panel

<snip>
> Bear in mind the target audience of GNOME--end users.
> End users may not be dummies, but they may be
> unfamiliar with computers and likely to make mistakes
> that seem trivial to us but are confusing to them.
> Remember that some CDE users have gotten confused
> about
> things that we take for granted, like multiple
> workspaces. This is why the GNOME GUI and usability
> mailing lists *exist*.

Amen, brother! Us Geeky types tend to forget how overwhelming nearly all
computer interfaces are at first for newbies. The cleaner, more logical,
more "fool-proof", and less prone to disaster an interface is, the better.
And that actually goes for a lot of "power users" as well. If geeks are so
smart, why do they often have greater tolerances for poor UI design than
so-called novices?

I really like the idea of multiple user levels. Make a "simple" GNOME for
the newbies, and put the gazillions of options and oodles of workspaces and
panels in the hands of the people that will know what to do with them.

Just my 2c...

Jared