Re: Quick menubar question

calum benson sun com (2001-07-11 at 1152.47 +0100):
> Some of the main arguments against it are that it doesn't work so nicely
> if you use "focus follows mouse" mode, which many people do, and it
> potentially conflicts with edge-flipping between virtual desktops.

There is a small extension to add stop-focus (like focus follows
mouse, but only if the mouse has stopped or is slow) to Sawfish. And I
guess that another to make edge flipping only work with screen sides
will not be too hard.

> Neither does it work too well if you're running an application across
> multiple displays, because the menus often end up on a different display
> from the one you're working on at the time.

Option to clone the menu many times?

> (And on large workstation displays, when I'm working down at the bottom
> of the screen, frankly I just find it annoying to have to move the mouse
> all the way to the top of the screen and back down again, even though it
> might be a fraction of a second quicker than the alternative!)

I believe some studies say it is faster... but I dunno about any study
of people thinking something is faster and thus being happier (use
people inner watch instead of a stop watch, you know, "lunch time?
time flies! I nearly did it all and not notices time passing").

> All these are just arguments against having the Mac-like menu bar as the
> default, though... it would probably work just fine for some (maybe even
> most) people, and it does have its advantages.

Good reason to propose it as an option, no?

GSR