Re: Quick menubar question

Stefan Werner wrote:

> My question: Will this be an option one day or is the menu bar inside the window a final
> decision? If this is a final decision, why was it made (links to previous discussions are
> enough). I've looked through the archives, but I couldn't find much on that topic.

I seem to remember hearing that it will probably be an option in 2.0,
but I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Some of the main arguments against it are that it doesn't work so nicely
if you use "focus follows mouse" mode, which many people do, and it
potentially conflicts with edge-flipping between virtual desktops.
Neither does it work too well if you're running an application across
multiple displays, because the menus often end up on a different display
from the one you're working on at the time.

(And on large workstation displays, when I'm working down at the bottom
of the screen, frankly I just find it annoying to have to move the mouse
all the way to the top of the screen and back down again, even though it
might be a fraction of a second quicker than the alternative!)

All these are just arguments against having the Mac-like menu bar as the
default, though... it would probably work just fine for some (maybe even
most) people, and it does have its advantages.

Cheeri,
Calum.