Re: Faster way to delete files and Select files, in groups.

segakid hotmail com (2001-07-01 at 1645.32 -0000):
> >To me it sounds like a new search method followed by the freedom to
> >remove all the files that appear in the results. I used it in NT, but
> >with names or extensions, I performed a search with a criteria, then
> >did operations in the results (not only delete, but open, rename and
> >such). IMHO search that do not allow manipulation are a not useful,
> >and search criterias should provide a nice set, not just names.
> Its not really a new "search" just a new option, like you have the option to

It is a new kind of search (search by type) not a delete option. Also
search by emblem or any other criteria we can think of.

> delete all files by deleting a folder, now you have the option to delete all
> files of a certain type inside of a folder without opening the folder.
>
> You should be able to select the folders you want to delete all of this type
> of file from, and hit a button. to be as simple as possible you just click
> delete by type, type in the type, and highlight the folders, then hit delete
> and it begins deleting the files.

OOh, I see, you say request a delete, then input what to delete, and
my idea is search, then delete the results. If you want to open
(rename, move, copy, whatever) multiple items, with your approach you
have to add the search option to all the functions too, and make the
user work that way (aka make sure the user knows it), without option
to exclude files after the search has ended.

My idea is that search gives results in a list (or as icons if they
what, but that has the problem of bar/foo.gif and baz/foo.gif), and
user can do anything with that, like if they where a normal dir, ie
select only some and then copy them. Which is very similar than if the
files already be in the same place.

> no need for the folders to open up one by one and all of that junk, this
> type of feature doesnt require that.

Eeeh? Opening folders? Did I say that? Uuum, I think the folder
metaphor is showing a problem: people think like if computers had real
folders, the ones you have to open all, and inspect one by one. Which
is why I oppose folder metaphor, it is going too far, and if staying
under limits, it is just an icon, and you can use any object like
paper bags, plastic boxes, wood crates, metal containers... cos in all
cases the user still miss the important detail: the computer version
will always have a rather different set of limits, cos they are not
physical but logical entities. I preffer the old terms like tree, cos
people alway got the "it is like a tree, but you do not see a tree
inside" (tree are also used when explaining animal relations, ie, and
the abstract approach while not super easy, allowed full understanding
after a bit step).

BTW, where is the search funtion in Nautilus? I found web search, but
no search. There is a search tool in the main menus, but seems to be a
front end to find or locate.

GSR