Re: Menu Guidelines

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:05:46AM +0100, Michael Rogers wrote:
> colin z robertson wrote:
> > > "If the window being closed is the last open window of that application
> > > then the application should exit."  Hmm, I'm not sure about this one at
> > > all, people often want to close all their open documents before they
> > > start a new one, so they'd be rather annoyed if the application closed
> > > before they got the chance.
> >
> > True. How should this work then? Should the last close put an
> > empty/blank document in the current window while other closes remove
> > the window?
>
> I think the first case is covered by using File->New instead of
> File->Close. File->Close All only makes sense when there is a global
> toolbox/menu bar (Gimp), and the user can easily select File->New from
> the global menu bar after using File->Close All. So I see no reason for
> File->Close or File->Close All to create a new document.

This is fine when there is a global menu, but where there isn't, the
last close would quit the application, which I think is precisely what
Calum was questioning.

We could, of course, have a rule that there should always be a global
menu... I think menu guidelines necessarily make a lot of assumptions
about other aspects of the system, particularly windowing models.
Perhaps that should be tackled first.

colin