Re: Panel UI - startmenu productivity thoughts

Dominik 'Aeneas' Schnitzer wrote:

Hi!

(Gnome Panel, Start Menu)

Currently the Panel Folders ("Games", "Utilities", ect.) just are here
to structure the Gnome start menu.

It would be very cool to give the Folders "gnome-launcher-ability" too -
namely by connecting the most recently/often started program in a folder
with the folder entry in the start menu.

erm :-), I tried to illustrate this on
http://www.schnitzer.at/dominik/gnome/qstart.jpg
So -- if a user moves the mouse in the startmenu over say the "Internet"
folder, the Internet Folder contents opens and in addition to now, the
most recently/often started application is automatically selected or
highlighted too.
If the user now wants to launch exactly this (highlighted) most
recently/often application, he just has to click on the "Internet"
folder and doesn't have to search/select and click it as usual. If the
user likes to start another app, it's buissines as usual.

I think this way to improve startmenu-productivity is better than the
Windows XP/2000 Idea of hiding unused programs and could proove as quite
practical.

I guess it would need some more thoughts to implement it The Right Way
(TM), but if you think it's ok I could try a patch.

best,
domi.

I like that idea. You could also extend it so that a double click on the foot button would start the last used application.

-b

--
Number of restrictions placed on "Alice in Wonderland" (public domain) eBook: 5

Maximum penalty for reading "Alice in Wonderland" aloud (possible DMCA violation): 5 years jail

Average sentence for commiting Rape: 5 years