RE: Menu guidelines updated

> So, I guess two wider questions are (i) should Save have any effect
> on the Undo buffer,

No.

> and (ii) should the (recent) Undo history actually be saved with a
> document, so that when you reload the document later you can still
> undo changes (afer, dare I say it, a crash, for example?)

Hmmm, no. After a crash, it would of course be nice, but the data
probably isn't up to date anyway. So what you (usually) need after a
crash is redo the lost work, not undo work that was done earlier.

Also remember what the meaning of Undo is. It means "undo my most
recent action", not "return to an older version of this document".

An undo feature that stores a history in the document is really not an
undo feature, but a versioning tool. To have a history is certainly
nice, but I doubt a linear undo/redo history is really that
helpful. I'd love to be able to select a piece of text and have a
command like "Show me the history of this paragraph", but I don't want
to be forced to undo any changes just to see that history.

Jorg