Re: Gnome/Mozilla for an Internet Cafe

On 2001.08.01 03:32:22 +0200 Jim Roland wrote:
> 1) Menubar disappear (preferably) or at least be able to turn off certain
> items like configuration settings, etc.  Need to keep users from using
> "File" "Edit", etc.
> 2) Mozilla only in browser mode (no news, no mail, none of the other
> "applications").
> 3) Need to make Mozilla maxmize on each run.  Apparently the -height
> -width
> and -splash options don't work on the command line.
> 4) I need to restrict certain URLs from being typed (eg, file:///,
> telnet://, news://, etc.  only allow http:// and https://)
> 5) I need to disallow additional windows from popping up (prevent users
> from
> getting a "new browser window").
> 6) Prevent users from exiting Mozilla (I can restrict minimizing by not
> runing the window manager).

You can try to modify Galeon: http://galeon.sourceforge.net/
The code is pretty clean, so getting rid of menu items such as File and
Preferences isn't hard.
In Galeon, you have the option to use tabs instead of new windows, so the
user will be able to browse through multiple documents in one single window
(popups can be changed to tabs too).
And Galeon is also faster. ;-)