Re: Gimp-style menus

On 21 Apr 2001 12:55:54 -0400, David Grega wrote:

> I would like to bring up an interesting point that most
> novice users (in terms of computers overall) NEVER
> right-click.  We shouldn't be placing items solely in a
> context menu.  Rather, we should have items that are in a
> context menu also placed in a normal menu - like in Windows.
> In windows, you can do things to files either using any of
> the menus in a folder window or by right-clicking that item.
>
> - David Grega

IMO it is very important to have a seemless transition from complete
novice usage patterns to power user usage patterns and in such a way
that novices are encouraged to gradually shift towards a more advanced
pattern as they become experienced with a given piece of software. I
think this is the basic philosophy behind having as many redundant ways
to perform an action as possible: main menu, context menu, toolbar,
accelerator keys, more if you can think of some appropriate to the
application (for instance a text command console that also logs commands
issued from the gui). The term 'novice user' doesn't just apply to
generally inexperienced computer users either, but also to new users of
a particular piece of software. For instance, an experienced Photoshop
user picking up a copy of the Gimp for the first time.