Re: Gimp-style menus

> Gimp, from my point of view, has overblown the use of
contextual menus
> and detracts from the "true" menu system, to lead a user
to the actions
> they want to perform.  In fact, I would venture to say
that comparing
> the Gimp and Adobe's Photoshop that Photoshop users are
more productive
> via how they've laid out their system than people using
the Gimp. If
> that is the case, other than cost, why would a user want
to switch to
> the Gimp if it takes me longer to accomplish a average
task in the Gimp
> than Photoshop?  There has to be a strong, new benefit for
someone to
> switch to the Gimp, and contextual menus are not one of
them (I'm
> guessing).

I would like to bring up an interesting point that most
novice users (in terms of computers overall) NEVER
right-click.  We shouldn't be placing items solely in a
context menu.  Rather, we should have items that are in a
context menu also placed in a normal menu - like in Windows.
In windows, you can do things to files either using any of
the menus in a folder window or by right-clicking that item.

- David Grega