Re: Default configuration for the Panel

> > I think the defaults are important, but what should we look at as the
> > "default machine"?  Apps should be usable on small screens, but I
> > don't think enough people are using 640x480 to design the defaults
> > towards them.  (Most X apps historically assume a default of 1024x768,
> > it seems.)
>From Miguel's GUADEC II keynote
(at http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/Trips/Talks/guadecii-miguel.html):

"Some governments are getting into free software in a big way: Spain is
using Linux extensively in the government; and Mexico is following that
route. The savings in licence fees alone when you have installations which
involve millions of machines are staggering. So GNOME needs to be ready for
this.
If we want to encourage this, things to work on are:
- saving memory
- working on small configurations, small screens etc
- good translation support
- working on 640x480"

We can't assume that people will be using 1024x768. Many use GNOME on
notebook at 800x600.

> Agreed, and for these reasons its probably best that defaults are left
> to distributors, who have some concept of their "market". What the GNOME
> project *can* do however, is provide accessible, user-friendly docs
> which inform users of how they can change things which are
> unsuitable/annoying for them.

Mike, you made a strong argument. I have to agree with you.
My question hadn't the intention to find 'a standard' to impose to everyone.
I was trying to do something like a research with ideas for the interface.

I'm glad that people at least read my e-mail.

Juliano Soares dos Santos