Re: Default configuration for the Panel

On 18 Apr 2001 10:41:41 -0400, Alan Shutko wrote:

> Juliano Soares dos Santos <juliano eps ufsc br> writes:
>
> > I know this look like a dummy question, but I think defaults are really
> > important, so we need to discuss them.
>
> I think the defaults are important, but what should we look at as the
> "default machine"?  Apps should be usable on small screens, but I
> don't think enough people are using 640x480 to design the defaults
> towards them.  (Most X apps historically assume a default of 1024x768,
> it seems.)

Agreed, and for these reasons its probably best that defaults are left
to distributors, who have some concept of their "market". What the GNOME
project *can* do however, is provide accessible, user-friendly docs
which inform users of how they can change things which are
unsuitable/annoying for them.

Mike

--
Mike Newman, Weston-super-Mare, UK | http://www.gtnorthern.demon.co.uk