Re: Gimp-style menus

mike gtnorthern demon co uk (2001-04-15 at 1314.05 +0100):
> The Gimp (and other graphics/DTP apps using) take this to the ultimate
> extent of saying "everything you can do with this image, you do by right
> clicking", but most programs will not need to approach the menus in this
> way. In my own code I use right click menus to expose features which are
> common enough to make moving the mouse to the toolbar, dropping down a
> menu or hitting accelerators a hassle.

Gimp also includes an arrow to show the menu (top left of each image),
as well as the option to keep the menu visible. When you are playing
with a series of operations, it saves a lot of time: open all the
menus you need, and keep them on screen until you end with them. I do
not see how they could put a full menu in the tool box, the current
one with three items is cut sometimes (specially when translated).

And Gimp is also another example of non MDI systems, which is
completly different to other OS, where everything is tied to a big
window or some other kind of grouping. Maybe the problem is that
people want a perfect copy, not another app.

BTW, since when Gimp is a GNOME app?

GSR