Re: common menu bar

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 12:25:38PM -0400, Mark wrote:
> Hello,
>   I'm new to this list so this might have been asked already. Has there
> been  any thought to having a common menu bar (a la MacOS) for all gnome
> apps?

Well, yes.. it has been mentioned from time to time. :)

> From reading the Aqua UI guidlines, it would seem this could be
> done without necessarily dictating window management policy.

Really? That does impress me. How could you use it effectively without
click-to-focus or some velocity-based mouse-movement system?

> Besides elimiting the redundency of a menu bar per application, I
> think some nice things for window management could be done, such as
> a "Bring all to Front" menu item that is done in the Aqua UI. How
> this would work is, say you were using the gimp (I know the gimp
> isn't a GNOME app, but bear with me), this item would bring all your
> gimp windows to top.

That would be nice, but I'm not sure there's any way all Gimp windows
are marked as belonging together - and if there was, there's no reason
you need a global menubar for that.

Maybe something with the WM_CLASS...

--