From:  Blair Strang
Sent:  Monday, November 27, 2000 4:53 PM
To:  gnome-gui-list gnome org
Subject:  Re: Running vs starting apps [rambled to: global shortcuts]

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:02:17 delmar watkins wrote:
> Would it be possible to trap the commands, such as  copy,
> paste, save, etc. so
> that if one does the above trick, it then becomes a global
> hotkey for ALL
> similar commands in gnome?

Hmmm, what you are describing sounds like a perfect fit
for GConf - there could be a standard set of hotkey "keys"
used by applications. when a user changes one of those
"global" hotkey settings, all interested GNOME apps would
be notified of the change.  (This woud however involve
adding code to all existing GNOME apps).

  http://developer.gnome.org/feature/current/index.html

I guess one could even have a GNOME-wide "hotkey profiles"
capplet - with settings like "windoze", "macintoy", "be-loss",
etc, and the ability to customise from there... That would be
neat-o  :-)

Blair.

--
Blair Strang  // BOFH excuse #232:  Ionisation from the
Sysadmin      // air-conditioning

--
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
confidential