type of users in a unix environment

There's no doubt a lot of X programs need ui improvement. Most of the
programs forget about the most basic ui design rules.
There's really a bunch of work to do in this area.

But there is an issue that should be considered: 'Type of users'
Advanced and experienced users like programs with a lot of features and
options.
Starting users like programs that are not only very userfriendly but also
got a very limited number of options. All those buttons and specific
features make it too difficult, mainly because it's too much information.

But all those options are part of the power of unix. In a
single shellcommando you can do something that takes minutes in a
gui-environment.

How can we make an gui-envirioment that is both clear for starting users
and got a lot of options and possibilities for the experienced users.
You can see that microsoft has chosen for the starting users. And that's
a important reason why more experiencent users change their os to
linux. I think it's a big loss if we follow the MS-way: the power of unix
will be lost in the gui.

It is possible to make a 'distinction' between experiencent and starting
users in software by:
- ask the user to categorize himself so the software adapts (displays
more or less buttons).
- hide options (put all the specific options in a 'configuration' menu)
- let the user drag and drop buttons to the default window
-...

but the there will always be concessions. No distinction perfectly fits
the demands of both type of users. (e.g. hiding options makes the gui too
useless for advanced users)

This might be not a main issue at this moment but i really think we
should think about this if we want Gnome to take a important part of the
future. I think Gnome should NOT be a better version of ms windows,
macOS etc. Gnome can be different, and it should benefit from the unix
transparency and flexibility.

I just joined the mailing-list so i don't know if there's ever been a
discussion about this before. But i really like to know what you think
about this. It maybe usefull to think about the different type of users
and find a solution which satisfy both type of users. Suggestions are very
welcome...

Huib Kleinhout