Re: Running vs starting apps [rambled to: global shortcuts]

On 27-Nov-2000 delmar watkins wrote:
> I would almost say that, by default, gnome apps should simply not have any
> default keybings, and then allow the global keybindings (mac, windows, be,
> whatever style) be the default until otherwise edited.

The only problem I see with this is with GTK itself (I think).  From what I've
seen, GTK won't catch key mappings unless the right widget is in focus (and
please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't pretend to be a gtk developer (yet
<g>)).  One thing I can't stand is when a yes/no/ok/cancel button pops up and
while one is highlighted as the default choice, I can't close it with <ENTER>
or <ESC> like I really really wish I could.  Even clicking on the titlebar
doesn't always do it, and you actually have to click on the window itself for
<ENTER> or <ESC> to do anything.

Until this works as one expects it do the above idea won't :(  (but I agree with
del, I really like that idea).  I think that the author should have the right
to hotkey non-standard functions of course :)  While having global defaults for
things like quit, copy, paste, etc are cool, what about background-fill (gimp)
or view-pr0n (x-random-gimp-newsreader) or whatever?

The problem with global keybindings IMHO are that not all programs use the same
functions for things.  Copy in gedit might be the same as copy in gpaint, but
what about g-random-program that has a copy-selected and copy-line (or put your
own example here).  About the only truely "global" option might be "quit" :)

Just some thoughts anyway.

alan, heresayer of dooom

--
Alan Bailward -=><=- <alan ufies org> -=><=-http://arcterex.net
What one believes to be true either is true or becomes true.