Re: Testing & A Suggestion :)

I don't know if that's the answer to your question, but some Linux distros (at least Red Hat 6.2 and 7) sets the window title of terminal windows to something prompt-like, with information about user, host, and current directory. It does this for both xterms and gnome-terminals; it seems to be a universal hint for terminals, and seems to be done via some hack in /etc/bashrc. Thats at least some aid in knowing "which terminal is which" in taskbars. But of course, you can't differ between an xterm or gnome-terminal only based on the title, since the titles will be the same if all user, host and directory info matches. Then only the icons differ.

Our Solaris boxes at school do this too, but I don't know if that is a standard setup. If I login to a school box in a terminal, the terminals title automatically changes to reflect the change, and likewise when i log out, or switch to another directory, etc. Easy to get used to...

Of course, I think this can be extended to show current command too.

Christian

delmar watkins wrote:

That is a good point.  Actually, it is a 'problem' I have with gnometerm.  On the
HP boxes I use to co-administer, the HP terminals were allowed to have names...
essentially you could name them kind of like you can name tabs in Powershell.
This made life MUCH easier.

In HPterm, I think the titlebar only showed what it was named.  So if you named a
term 'FOO' and another 'BAR', then that is the only info you got.  Gnome terms, on
the other hand, sometimes show info like which vi session you are in, etc.  Why
not combine the two?

Is it possible (or already done and I don't know about the feature) that we could
name the terms, then also have status info in the titlebar?  for example, if
I name the term FOO and am editing BAR, it would look like:
0|  FOO:  vi
/home/me/bar
|X|

This would also allow easier transition to other things, like the enlightenment
iconbox 'snapshot view' (which I love).

If one can already name a terminal, then the problem should be solved (and someone
please write me and tell me how this is done).  If not, then that feature would
solve many of the problems.