Re: Testing & A Suggestion :)

[snip]
>|Netscape      >|>    Gnome.org     1|
>|Gnome Term    >|     mozilla.org   1|
>|_______________|     slashdot.org  2|
>|               |____________________|
>

> kind of like macos, but add the ability to go to particular window
> immediately,
> and show which desktop they are on (the number to the right).
>
> Also, you could then issue commands (hide all netscape, or show all netscape,
> or
> whatever) based on that.
>
> I find the macos way of handling apps very good, but if synthesized with
> (presumably) BeOS ways of doing it, I think it could be even more powerful
> and
> easy to manage a desktop.

The only thing that I can see that would be bad with this way of handling
things (I have to echo that this is a good way of doing things) is that what
happens if you have have multiple gnome-terms runing, how do you tell them
apart?  Right now their titlebar (by default) don't seem to reflect what is
going on in them like xterm or rxvt (where the title bar name will change to
"vim ~/foo" when you edit foo).

One thing that sucks right now is that I have to remember which gnome-term is
which by guessing, and the above method isn't going to help.  I'd say 1) make
the change to gnome-term to make the titlebar changes a la xterm and 2) change
the way the task list (old and/or proposed way) show a number with the order
that that was minimized or created.  In the sketch above there are numbers
beside the netscape windows which I assume was meant to reflect this.  Either
that or figure out a better way to organize the windows (numbering might look
kinda lame).

alan

--
Alan Bailward -=><=- <alan ufies org> -=><=-http://arcterex.net
Money isn't everything -- but it's a long way ahead of what comes next.