Re: Running vs starting apps

cf. my previous post ...

... but that aside, the task bar is those things that are taking up RAM
-- from a ressources point of view, this is relevant.  On my handheld
computer (an Apple Messagepad 120), all programs installed take up some
amount of heap memory at all times so they can be activated based on the
use of their data ressources, so there isn't much difference between
starting a program and seeing that its already started.

... but from another standpoint, many people have become accustomed to
running multiple copies of programs (because of poor MDI interfaces,
mostly).  We can encourage this, or simply have a better way for people
to switch between programs and/or launch programs that are already
running (like starting a new browser window when you click on "Mozilla"
instead of a new instance of Mozilla).

--
Michael T. Babcock, C.T.O. FibreSpeed
http://www.fibrespeed.net/~mbabcock