Re: User interface suggestions

Nicolas Mailhot email enst fr (2000-11-23 at 1225.54 +0100):
> > * In the tasklist, the concept has been applied too,
> > including minimized
> > tasks. I think here it'll be more useful to apply only to
> > the tasks in
> > current sesion.
>
> If something is not used, it shouldn't be run. What you can
> do is order tasks by usage. Anyway, I don't think there are
> enough tasks in a tasklist for this to be useful.

Another problem is that they will change the order as you close and
open apps, instead of trying to keep order based in the time you
launched them (new task is always the last button).

> > * In the suggestion for applications, menu&tool bars
> > (which in my opinion
> > could be fusioned in only one type of bar, with all the
> > possibilities of
> > only-icons, only-text, vertical-icons&text,
> > horizontal-icons&text,
> > ...) have received the technology too.
>
> I agree on the fusion. Apps should provide lists of actions
> (name + big/middle/tiny icon + tooltip + extended help +
> accelerator + callback) and let the user populate menus and
> convert between menus/toolbars/etc* (that's a gtk decision).
>
> * text-menu, text-menu-with-tiny-icons, big-icon-menu,
> big-icon-toolbar, icon+text toolbar, tiny-icon-without-text
> toolbar ...
>
> That's how the panel is starting to behave. But that
> shouldn't be restricted to the panel, all gnome apps should
> benefit from this too.

Yep, and all so called GNOME apps should follow the user choosen
default, only ignored if coders want to create a preferences item to
override, and the user sets it.

> The way they are colorized afterwards is a theme
> decision.

I hope that will.

GSR