Re: User interface suggestions

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Calum Benson wrote:

> "Blad, John Erling" wrote:
>
> > It also don't solve the real problem because you *know* where the
> > item is when you use it often. If you could generate a hint where
> > a seldom used feature is located ..
>
> It's an interesting idea that could work in some cases, but apart from
> John's valid points, there are other potential problems with trying to
> generalise the idea too-- for example, what do you do with submenus?
> Should they have their own individual "most-recently/frequently-used"
> lists?  Or should they share the same list as their parent menu?

I like best the first option (a most used context in each item list) for
default, but there would be several policies to choose in configuration...

> Sub-menus (or even top level menus) with only a few items would be a
> problem too-- you could conceivably end up with more items bold than
> not-bold, which would have completely the opposite effect from the one
> required: the non-bold items would stand out more.  Then there's
> right-button menus-- what could you sensibly do with those?  Show the
> most recently/frequently used menu items in that context, or in all
> contexts that have a right-button menu, or in the main menu?

Again, all would be configurable... I personally prefer to apply the
chosen policy in every itemlist.

> You could end up having to have a different policy for every menu in
> your application to get around some of these problems  (e.g. only
> highlight the most-recently-used 10% of the items on each menu), but
> then you'd have a different number of bold items on each one, which
> might be rather confusing.

everything configurable... :). For example it could be activated a
max-limit of bolded items per itemlist?

Tnx

								Adrián