RE: Scrollbars and arrows; also the mouse.

> > I'm still thinking about where to draw the line in regards to
> > customizability.  Somebody (sorry, I forgot whom!) said on this
> list that we
> > shouldn't customize things because they're difficult decisions
> to make, and
> > I fully agree with that point.  Target features and
> customizabitily not for
> > a small minority, but for the "average GNOME user."  Can't make everyone
> > happy, unfortunately.
>
> I agree that "we shouldn't customize things because they're difficult
> decisions to make" but I think we should be able to customize
> everything. In other words, we shouldn't use customizability as an
> excuse for not having good defaults.

I've increasingly thought of GNOME as the Build-Your-Own GUI GUI :-)
However, if we have defaults backed up by sound usability justification,
there should be less of a need for lots of option tweaking.

> I think GNOME should be made for advanced users, but not be too dificult
> to learn. Although now maybe most people are newbies, for how long do
> you think they will be newbies? :)

I believe that some (if not most) people remain newbies forever,
unfortunately.  You're right in that the techies that are currently moving
to Linux/Unix won't stay newbies forever.  But if GNOME catches on to the
mainstream computer user, we'll be dealing with a different group of people
with very different needs.

> As it is, gnomecc will be very clutered if we add too many things. It
> should be changed. (Yes there was a lot of discussion on in a while
> back)

Yes.

Cheers,

Gerry Chu