panel/menu usability

Hello gnome-gui-list,
I trawled the archives to see if this was discussed or not, but I couldn't
find it (sorry if it was there)...

I find the navigation of the panel a bit to "strict" i.e. I would like to
be able to click foot->move up to applications->move diagonally to
abiword; rather than -> move right then -> move down to abiword.  Of
course, moving diagonally highlights the utilities menu and drives me nuts
(go ahead, call me a windows luser).

I find even, on my machine, redhat 6.2, netscape's navigation of it's
bookmarks preferable to gnome's navigation of menus.  I've looked for
configuratable options but the closest I could find was under Control
Center-User Interface-Applications-Menu Options.  Maybe an option to have
"fuzzy" navigation would be nice :).

Thanks for an improved gnome chiefs.
zing