RE: Zooming dock

> I think agree that this would be of value, but it is hard to say
> what the best
> solution would be.   Maybe  a better way, rather than organizing
> them on the
> outset, is to allow the user to define how they are organized:
> by application, by
> size, by name, whatever (maybe even give several criteria...
> first sort by app,
> then by name, then by last used).
>
> THat way, it allows even newbies to clue in to the feature
> because it would have a
> decent default... then as the needs of the user changes, so can
> the behaviour of
> the taskbar.

When there are no groups defined, I think the best way to go is group by
time, as is currently done, because the user knows intutively where the
program/document he just opened went.

> However, point number 3 below sounds a lot like what Tog
> (www.akstog.com, i
> belive) says would be good interface design:  GROUPS of
> dissimilar thing put into
> categories.

Yeah, I should have credited Tog for this idea's inspiration.

> point 3b, etc. has already been done in sawfish, using LISP
> scripts.

I know, but I'm just saying you could open the matched window dialog (which
is a bit complicated at this time) with settings already filled in so that
the specified program group is "matched."

> > I think items should also be draggable on the taskbar (start menu or
> > whatever the heck it is called) itself with the option of
> re-alphabetizing
> > the list very easily.  I mean novice friendly, because knowing some
> > conservative Linux users (I don't mean to offend anyone here), they'd
> > consider the Windows procedure to re-alphabetize the Start Menu very
> > user-friendly.

Oh, I just love how you can organize favorites/start menu in windows and ie.

Gerry