Re: Zooming dock

I think agree that this would be of value, but it is hard to say what the best
solution would be.   Maybe  a better way, rather than organizing them on the
outset, is to allow the user to define how they are organized:  by application, by
size, by name, whatever (maybe even give several criteria... first sort by app,
then by name, then by last used).

THat way, it allows even newbies to clue in to the feature because it would have a
decent default... then as the needs of the user changes, so can the behaviour of
the taskbar.

However, point number 3 below sounds a lot like what Tog (www.akstog.com, i
belive) says would be good interface design:  GROUPS of dissimilar thing put into
categories.

In this case, it is just groups of applications, or a script that opens up several
items, but the idea can be extended to documents, music, whatever.  People don't
think of things in terms of indidual things, we thing in amalgamated groups.  The
nearest thing we have to a "group" of things is a directory where one puts lots of
similar docs.

point 3b, etc. has already been done in sawfish, using LISP scripts.  I love the
scriptability of sawfish (now that I have gotten it to work :-), and more needs to
be done to make this an easy feature to use.  One of the coolest things about MacOS
that few outside the Mac community knows about is applexccript, which essentially
is a single scrtipting language for controlling EVERYTHING on your Mac.  It is
triviallly easy to make scripts that completely customize your experience
(windowing, etc.).  Last night, I just started to figure out hwo to make the Mac
respond to voice commands, which then run applescripts.

The point here is not to advocate Mac, but to show how cool interface stuff like
that CAN be done.  We CAN make a windowing environment easy to use and powerful,
Usually people think that ease of use and power are mutually exclusive, but that is
not the case:  good ease of use allows one to easily do what they want.  Dumbing
down an interface is not ease of use, because it now makes doing what YOU want
impossible.