Re: SV: User interface suggestions

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 05:53:55PM +0100, Blad, John Erling wrote:
> Linux and Gnome is about to make a breakthrough
> in mil-systems. No, it's not a joke. Yesterday
> I talked to people from one of the worlds largest
> firms in that business. They even redesign systems
> ported to WinNT from Unix. Really strange..

> One mil research site which is heavilly involved
> in design and implementation of future systems
> converted to WinNT from Unix (mainly HPUX), just
> to find themselves on a path to Linux.

> One quote "You have to prove scalability
> and portability at lowcost, so you use cheap wintel
> hardware and tries out a couple of OS'es; Win95, WinNT
> QNX, Solaris and Linux. The winner is always Linux."
>
> It seems like what's happening is that people use
> cheap wintel hardware, tries Linux and get stuck.

I find it rather frightening that military systems are going to be running
"cheap WinTel hardware", knowing how frail it is compared to most other
platforms. But oh well.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer