Re: File dialogs: an attempt at a summary

Fabrice Colin wrote:
> Yep. But the application should be able to specify the list of file
> types
> it supports, so that the user can select one. This obviously would
> appear only in the Save dialog box.

But why?  The program KNOWS what format it'll be writing it in.  Why have
the user specify it when the program already knows it?  In the case of The
Gimp, it needs it if you use Save As or Save on a non-typed file because
graphics can export to many types.  But most programs work with precisely
one type of data.  Then it's ambigous.

> > I always thought that the dir treeview + file listview would be enough..
> My 2p on the subject : I don't mind having two views. I would also
> like to be able to choose having dirs and files in the same view
> plus options like "Display dirs first" and "Mix files nd dirs".

They're not combined like you seem to imply.  This is not Windows.  We have
the directory treeview and the file listview as separate widgets that
communicate via message passing.

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.