Re: File dialogs: an attempt at a summary

Dylan Griffiths wrote:
> I'm hoping that it'd be fairly easy to give a gboolean to the dialog
> indicating if it should ask for a single file, or ask for multiple files.
> If so, it wouldn't be too hard to change "Open" to "Add selected" and
> "Cancel" to "Done" .. the difference would be that the dialog would build a
> list of files in the format:
>
> "/usr/bin/file1"; "/home/user/file2"; "/home/user2/file3"
That sounds sensible but I am not sure about the list of files.

> > Save as file type:
> > Save dialogs must allow the user to select which file format the file
> > should be saved in. Implementation unclear.
>
> BAD BAD BAD DANGER DANGER DANGER!
>
> Repeat after mean:
>
> A file is a stream of bytes. A file is a stream of bytes. A file is a stream
> of bytes. A file is a stream of bytes. A file is a stream of bytes. A file
> is a stream of bytes. A file is a stream of bytes. A file is a stream of
> bytes.
>
> Do not go enforcing some format through a common dialog box!  There lies
> madness!!!
Yep. But the application should be able to specify the list of file
types
it supports, so that the user can select one. This obviously would
appear only in the Save dialog box.

> > I'm not going to address the issue of how files and directories should
> > be displayed right now, partly because I'd like to see the results of
> > other discussions first and partly because I need to give it some more
> > thought myself, but mostly because it's already 1am.
>
> I always thought that the dir treeview + file listview would be enough..
My 2p on the subject : I don't mind having two views. I would also
like to be able to choose having dirs and files in the same view
plus options like "Display dirs first" and "Mix files nd dirs".