Re: Copy-Paste between filemanager and document editor

"Michael T. Babcock" wrote:

> What Microsoft did right there, and most users ignore, is make the drag-icon
> different based on the default operation.  It shows an arrow for 'move', a
> plus-sign for 'copy' and a shortcut icon for 'create shortcut'.
>
> If you drag a file between locations on the same drive, it moves.
> If you drag between different drives, it copies.
> If you drag a program (exe,com,bat), it makes a shortcut.

If I am going to drag a file, I want one un-ambigous operation.  If I have
to stop and think wether this will move the file, copy the file, link the
file, etc, then I've already lost whatever advantage is gained and more.
Make the default action ALWAYS ONE THING, and make the other actions ALWAYS
THE SAME based on the key modifiers.

A hint icon is secondary to the basic usefulness of dragging.
--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.