Re: Tab as completion shortcut

"Michael T. Babcock" wrote:

> Considering that every application eventually wants to offer the user the
> ability to redefine some previously unthought-of keystroke, just have
> applications 'register' those keystrokes in their gnome-conf files in a
> standard way.  Then have the capplet pass through your application conf
> files for those key=value statements.
>
> That said, organise them by standard and application-specific.

Thinking about other systems that enamble key configration, like emacs
(very heavy scale) or XToolkit translations. The systems are based on
commands. Command is a base interface that links the key and the
operation implementation. So, instead thinking just keys, we should
model what commands we use (cut(), copy(), paste(), ..), how they are
organized, and most important how they can be reused between
applications
to form common "language" between user and applications.

> -- system wide
>  - file open
>  - file save
>  - copy
>  - cut
>  - paste
>  - select all
>  - edit preferences
>  - see properties
>  - etc.  (in more of a hierarchy, if you wish)
> -- application specific
>  - gnibbles
>    * left
>    * right
>    * up
>    * down
>    * suicide :-)
>  - gnorpm
> ... etc.

here is other
				Theme:		Theme;
registered 			"emacs"		"windows"
 file { # used as "file.open"
   open
   save
   save-as
 }
 clipboard {
   copy				[esc,w]		[ctrl-c]
   cut				[ctrl-w]	[ctrl-x]
   paste			[ctrl-y]	[ctrl-v]
 }
 workarea {
   select-all
   select-to-begin
   select-to-end
   select-line
 }
 object { # or sould be item
   open
   close
   delete
   suicide # registered by gnibbles
   install
 }
 move {
   left
   right
   up
   down
   left-end
   right-end
 }
applications
  gnibbles: uses: "file","move","object"; register: "object.suicide"
  gnorpm: uses: "file","move","object"; register: "object.install"
  emacs # the real challenge :)
   uses "file", "move", "workarea","clipboard";
   register:
     workarea {
       indent
       cancel
     }
     move {
       next-item
       previous-item
     }
     ..

This is indeed not complete, but idea is to promote applications
use same commands, or interfaces.s

This has been talk about keybinding, but command can also has other
shareable information like: icon (if it is presented as toolbox button
or menu item), description text (for tooltips) or name of the activation
sound.

--
email: Petri.Heinila@lut.fi
  www: http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/