Re: Tab as completion shortcut

----- Original Message -----
> thristian@atdot.org wrote:
>
> Well I wouldn't say that everything is inherited from emacs. Lots of
> apps use common bindings from Windows too, and I believe those too come
> from GTK+ defaults.
>
> However, there are situations when emacs defaults and Windows defaults
> overlap. Take Ctrl + a for example. In emacs it positions the cursor on
> the beginning of the line, in Windows it selects All text.

I think that we need to start assuming that users have 101/104 key keyboards
to some degree and offering not just functioning CTRL-(x) shortcuts but
making HOME/PGUP/SCROLL LOCK functional within software.  I used Lotus 1-2-3
back in the DOS days and quite liked being able to lock scrolling with
SCROLL LOCK so that the cursors scrolled the screen instead of moving the
cursor ... etc.

> That's my opinion though, I don't know if others agree.

I hate having to use Ctrl to do the most basic things ... like HOME.

:-)

> I didn't know this - is it documented somewhere?
> Yes, I tried it and it is indeed very nice - but I agree, it should be
> easy to reset the default ones, they should be made global and
> remembered across sessions and apps.

Yes, in the GIMP manual ;-).  After all, that's where Gtk+ came from ... it
just needs to be ported over to the Gnome manuals.

> Shouldn't that list be a global configuration dialog, so that I don't
> have to edit it in each app? I.e. a common resource that apps can launch
> when users want to edit keybindings, and not a dialog that has to be
> reimplemented in all apps.

As per my other message ;-).