GNOME Desktop and Panel

Hi,

I'm having two minor  problems with GNOME.

1. How can I put the icons on the desktop in a customized order. The
MS-Windows "Arrange Icons", "Line Up Icons" are really missing to me. I
could make this small tools myself if anybody was as kind to provide me the
necessary information?

2. I've found the GNOME-Panel very usefull, but when I maximize any of my
windows on the desktop and the one of the part of this windows on the panel
area, the maximized window will covert the whole desktop, hide the panel.
It's a kind of annoying habit. Is anyting I can do to avoid this feature?
(When my windows does no cover any part of the panel the maximize funztion
is working perfectly.)

Thenk you in advance,

Yuri