Re: GWP and 'the foot'

Braden N. McDaniel wrote:

> [...]

i thought so too when i first wrote this proposal
(http://www.gnome.org/mailing-lists/archives/gnome-gui-list/1998-June/0053.html)
but several good arguments were subsequently presented against this idea
and i think my personal preference is the gnome foot, now, too. note
that of all the arguments and flaming that took place on this topic, no
actual research was ever submitted, so if you can do some or know any
that's been done, please let us know so we can make a good decision on
this.

> >  First, it clears up a lot of the
> > ambiguity about what to do with the "File" menu in applications where it
> > is not appropriate (e.g. games).
>
> Cooper makes a good point on this issue in _The Essentials of User Interface
> Design_. "File" is awfully generic. In fact, the notion of a "file" is
> really an implementation thing. For most applications (a notable exception
> being a file manager), one could think of a more appropriate name for the
> menu generally dubbed "File". In a word processor, for example, "Document"
> would be more appropriate.

i agree, but don't feel particularly strong about this any more. this
too was pretty well flamed into the ground, but again, no real research
was done. check out the archives for some of the comments that were made
(and please pardon my behavior when the conversation degraded to ad
hominem attacks), and again, if you have further insights, please let us
know so we can make a good decision on this, too. can you give us a
quote from this "cooper" fellow, if he's actually done research on it?

--
| To ensure privacy and data integrity this message |