Re: What handle bars are good for:

On Tue, 05 May, 1998 at 04:23:34AM +0200, Markus Fleck set free these words:
> raster@redhat.com wrote:
> > ->  Ok, so we have a detachable menu bar... not a bad idea in principle; by
> > ->  detaching it I can prevent it from taking up space in my window, which
> > ->  can be a good thing.
>
> I see three real major uses for handle bars,
> of which neither is (AFAIK) implemented in GNOME yet:
>
> (1) Dockable/Floating Menus
>
>     Menus or button bars can be moved to either edge of the working
>     window, or can be free-floating over the window's workspace.
>     This can be useful to have the menus or buttons closer to the
>     position on the screen where you are currently working,
>     sparing you from traveling annoyingly large distances
>     with your mouse (in which case fast navigation would
>     get increasingly difficult).
>
>     For an implementation of this, look at KDE (or is it Qt).
>     KDE doesn't allow you to drag menus, though - clicking on
>     the handle just pops up a menu where you can chose one of
>     the five possibilities mentioned above (n,e,s,w,floating).

I think this is implemented (although an application may have to enable it --
and the "east" and "west" possibilities are really ugly.

Try running gtt and right clicking on the handle of one of the handle box
menus.

cleaning up the implementation so it hugs the menu better when it's positioned
on the left or right and figuring out some method of defining drop zones in a
more arbitrary manner (so I can just drop the menu on the side and have it
merge into the "menu area" there).

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature