Re: property dialogs

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 08:51:11PM +0100, Janos Farkas wrote:
> > This is not too much related with "instant apply".  You probably have
> > to carefully compose a set of settings that you then want to apply all
> > at once.  While composing these settings you will probably go thru a
> > lot of invalid states that would provoke error messages, or something.
>
> I'm probably blinded by my idea, but I can't see a real example now of
> panels like this.

Take xvidtune from XFree86 for an example. There are cases where you have to
adjust the HTotal when you set the HSyncEnd to high. Those dialog boxed
might be rare, but they exist.

And I don't think one mouse click can be that bad. Taking your permissions
example, you would just change the fields, click apply, and are ready to
test your settings immidiatly. If you're satisfied you press the close
button. Where's the problem?

And even when comparing dialog boxes to shell commands there should be an
apply button. You're shell comand won't be executed until you hit return.
You can change your command line before. Only when you hit return (the apply
button in dialog boxes), you can see the results.

--
Eckehard Berns