RE: Patchcords

> > Adam Ierymenko wrote:
> > >
> > > For example, a GUI mp3 decoder could have an "audio/x-wav" output
> plug.. and
> > > to pipe the output into something like.. say.. a graphics display
> program like
> > > Cthugha you could grab a patchcord from the patchcord box icon and
> plug one
> > > end into the "audio/x-wav" output on the mp3 decoder and plug the
> other end
> > > into the "audio/x-wav" input on the graphics program.
> >
> > I think this idea has some merit.  It's like connecting up any
> > components. Actually, this in some ways sounds like corba.  You use it
> > to connect different objects together.  The visual part is sort of like
> > those visual component development tools.  It does seem like this would
> > be user friendly.  It seems like just about everybody has to have hooked
> > up a VCR or sterio at least once.  You would have the output and input
> > jacks easily accessible on the application? or would there be a "back
> > panel" for connectors.
>
> Some applications may have jacks on the application itself.  Others may
> have something in a submenu for "i/o panel" or something similar that
> would open a new window.
>
> I think this would be a very useful and user-friendly way to add the same
> level of functionality and versatility that exists from a good command
> line
> to a GUI environment.

It sounds neato to me, too.
Note that there's no need for a "box of patch cords" as suggested.  Just
drag from one jack to another and the patch cord appears.
Dragging between incompatible jacks (audio to video, for example) would pop
up a confirmation/option dialog offering filters if applicable (as they
would be with png-jpg conversion, for example) or for "I know it doesn't
make much sense, but I really want to 'see what the sound 'looks' like" :).

Paul