Re: gnome key binding standard

On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 10:19:14AM -0400, Christopher James Lahey wrote:

> In any case, we're never going to agree on what the right keybindings are.
> We should make it user configurable.

Configurable keybindings are obviously the Right Thing, but

 1. Apps have to ship with some set of defaults.  (Even if those
    defaults are "there are no keyboard shortcuts.")

 2. Developers have limited time, and may not get around to
    putting in customization in the first release.  (Although
    hopefully the framework will make it easy.)

 3. It's better that the defaults be consistent across apps
    than not.

 4. GNOME is meant to appeal to non-power-users as well as hackers:
    many of those people will not customize their keybindings, and
    so need sane defaults.

If there is a global customization facility, it might be good to let
people pick from sets of defaults "Windows", "OS/2", "emacs"...

--
Martin Pool